You asked, we tested! Firm tofu is low FODMAP!
Why is firm tofu low FODMAP?
We put firm tofu to the test recently, and found that it is low FODMAP!
But why? Well, we know that soy beans naturally contain GOS – Galacto-oligiosaccharides – the ‘O’ in the FODMAP acronym, therefore certain soy products like tofu and soy milk naturally contain them.
However, we know that manufacturing processes have a large influence on FODMAP content. In our last blog about soy protein milk, we explained how during soybean processing, the GOS in the soybeans are removed, allowing the end product to become low FODMAP.
During the manufacturing process of firm tofu, the product is pressed, draining off the liquid along with the GOS, making the final product low FODMAP. Firm tofu has a safe low FODMAP serving size of 100g!
How to prepare firm tofu
Firm tofu is excellent at absorbing all the beautiful flavours of your cooking. Cube it up and throw it into your stir-fry, pan-fry it, or even crumble it to make delicious tofu scramble! You can even try mashing it up as a substitute for ricotta cheese, if you please!
You’ll be licking this one off your lips for days!
Prep time: 10 mins
Total time: 10 mins
These tasty cubes of tofu don’t need to be cooked. You just marinate them in the delicious sauce.
By Audrey Inouye, Registered Dietitian, IBS Nutrition
Recipe type: Lunch or dinner
Serves: 4 small servings
- 1 brick of extra firm tofu, drained and patted dry
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp olive oil or garlic infused olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp lime or lemon zest
- 1 tsp basil or oregano leaves
- Pat the tofu dry with a clean tea towel to remove excess moisture. Cut the tofu into 1″ cubes.
- In a large container or Ziploc bag, combine the soy sauce (2 tbsp), olive oil (1 tbsp), balsamic vinegar (2 tbsp), brown sugar (1 tbsp), dried basil or oregano (1 tsp).
- Add the cubes of tofu and toss until all sides of the tofu are well coated.
- Marinate for 30 minutes or overnight in the fridge.
Enjoy firm tofu..