Low FODMAP Choc Almond and Orange Slice
Posted on January 14, 2022
This chocolate almond and orange slice recipe is a great snack for on the go, or something to enjoy with a cuppa in the afternoon. The inspiration behind this recipe was the gorgeous combination between chocolate and orange, presented in a way that is FODMAP Friendly and deliciously simple.
This recipe was not inspired by a non-FODMAP alternative, as many recipes are. It is made up of tasty ingredients which not only cater to the FODMAP diet but make up a flavour profile which is sweet and chocolatey.
Dark chocolate was used both in the mixture and melted as a drizzle over the top. In this recipe, a total of 4 pieces were used all together, keeping this recipe low FODMAP. After all, sharing this sweet treat with friends and family is recommended
The essential ingredient is almond meal, as it provides a nutty flavour to the recipe. However, swapping the almond meal for a low FODMAP flour would also work well.
Orgran, White Wings, Semper, Det Glutenfrie Verksted, EQU and Lo-Fo Pantry have FODMAP Friendly Certified flours.
This simple recipe is a great meal prep option, taking a slice a day to work or school, it ensures you can treat yourself to a nutritious and delicious FODMAP Friendly sweet snack.
Low FODMAP Choc almond and orange slice
1 Cup ground almond meal
½ cup coarsely chopped activated cashews
¼ tsp baking soda
1 large egg
1 orange – juice and rind (grated)
½ cup puffed rice
1 tbsp maple syrup
½ tsp of vanilla exact
4 pieces (40 grams) of dark chocolate – Chocolife and The Good Chocolate are FODMAP Friendly Certified
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/356°F. Line a 20x20cm (8×8 inch) baking dish with baking paper and set aside.
2. Put aside two pieces of dark chocolate and cut up into small pieces.
3. In a mixing bowl combine almond meal, cashews, baking soda and puffed rice together.
4. Then mix in egg, two remaining pieces of chocolate, maple syrup, vanilla extract, juice of one orange.
5. Pour mixture into lined tin and zest orange peel over slice mixture
6. Bake in oven for 15 mins.
7. After slice is cooked and cooled – melt remaining chocolate in a microwave and drizzle over mixture.
8. Cut into 9 equal slices and enjoy!
Written by Kelly Bramble, Accredited Practising Dietitian
Reviewed by Kiarra Martindale, Accredited Practising Dietitian