Low FODMAP Eggnog
Posted on December 24, 2021
A Christmas Eggnog for all – adults and kids
It is well into the Christmas Season and what a better way to celebrate than to have a low FODMAP yummy Eggnog.
Traditional eggnog contains cream and milk, which as we know contain lactose. For this recipe, a FODMAP Friendly certified milk is perfect and even though cream contains some lactose, if you stick to the serve sizes below, it is considered low FODMAP.
Traditionally eggnog also contains whisky or rum and it is served cold. Rum can be sweeter and usually contains excess fructose, where as 30mL of whisky bourbon is low FODMAP.
You can make a Virgin Eggnog, leaving out the whisky for the whole family to enjoy. The recipe is based on 30mL (1 shot) of whisky per serve to minimise any triggers from alcohol, however the recipe works well reducing the amount of whisky or even leaving it out all-together.
Low FODMAP Eggnog
2 cups of low FODMAP milk (FODMAP Friendly certified Liddells Lactose Free or Arla Lacto Free)
1 cup (240mL) of cream
6 egg yolks (large eggs)
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ cup of sugar
Spices: ½ tsp ground cinnamon, ½ tsp nutmeg
1. Add milk, vanilla extract and spices to a saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. In a separate large heatproof bowl, whisk the egg yolks with sugar.
3. Next, add the saucepan milk mixture gradually to the whisked eggs. Whisk mixture, then add a bit more milk mixture, whisk again. Repeat this process until all the 2 mixtures are combined.
4. Pour this combined mixture into the saucepan. Heat on a medium heat to thicken the mixture – do not boil mixture.
5. Remove from stove, let cool slightly and add the cream and whisky (whisky is optional).
6. Sprinkle some cinnamon on before serving. You can keep it in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Liddells Lactose Free
Arla Lacto Free
For the ground cinnamon: Check out Lewis & Son
For the ground nutmeg: Check out Lewis & Son
Lewis & Son have a wonderful range of FODMAP Friendly Products that can certainly be the heroes of your festive season feasts.
Check out the FODMAP Friendly Certified Lewis & Son Range Online