Bundt cake is a classic cake that uses a round tin with a hole in the centre to create a ‘donut’ shaped cake. Bundt cake tins usually have a unique pattern to decorate the cake. This cake is versatile and can be eaten plain, or topped with nuts, berries, cream, icing or chocolate ganache. It’s a great option to take to parties or to have as a treat after dinner.
Cake recipes are typically high FODMAP as they are made with high FODMAP flours and dairy products. This recipe would usually be high FODMAP as it contains yogurt and wheat flour. However, this recipe has been modified to make it low FODMAP by replacing the yogurt with Green Valley Creamery Organics Lactose Free Low-Fat Plain Yogurt, and the wheat flour with Orgran Self-Raising Flour Gluten Free. This recipe allows you to enjoy a delicious dessert without FODMAPs to trigger your IBS symptoms.
Low FODMAP Chocolate Bundt Cake Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup Orgran Self-Raising Flour Gluten Free (or other low FODMAP self-raising flour)
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup castor sugar
- 1 cup Green Valley Creamery Organics Lactose Free Low-Fat Plain Yogurt (or other low FODMAP plain yogurt)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup strawberries, cut to decorate
- 2 tsp icing sugar to decorate
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 190°C or 170°C fan forced.
- 2. Spray a Bundt cake tin with cooking spray.
- 3. Sift flour into a large bowl.
- 4. Add cocoa powder, salt and sugar and stir to combine.
- 5. Add the eggs, yogurt, oil and vanilla to a well in the centre of the dry ingredients combine using a whisk.
- 6. Pour the mixture into the cake tin.
- 7. Bake for 35-45 minutes. Insert a toothpick or skewer into the cake to ensure it is cooked.
- 8. Allow to cool on a rack before topping with strawberries.
- 9. Use a sift to sprinkle the cake with icing sugar just before serving.
Green Valley Creamery Organics Lactose Free Low-Fat Plain Yogurt is a great substitute for regular yogurt when on the low FODMAP diet! It can also be used to replace buttermilk or sour cream as a low FODMAP alternative in recipes. The yogurt can even be enjoyed on its own, in a smoothie or with some berries for breakfast or a snack. This product has no added sugar, unlike many other yogurts which can have a high added sugar content. The yogurt contains calcium which is important for maintaining bone health, and live and active cultures which can assist with gut health and reducing your risk of certain diseases. This product is available in the USA at Walmart, Ralphs, Safeway, Wholefoods and other specialty markets.