Home-cooked lasagne screams comfort food… but it’s not exactly the best option for those with dietary requirements. This Slightly Different Foods recipe caters for those who follow the low FODMAP diet, a gluten free diet and a lactose free diet. Use the FODMAP Friendly certified Slightly Different Foods Tomato & Basil Sauce to give your lasagne that delicious Italian flavour of tomato and herbs (all low FODMAP, of course)!
Prep time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 85 mins
Total time: 1 hr 50 mins
For the Lasagne layer
- 2 tbsp Garlic infused oil
- 750g Lean beef mince
- 2 jars of Slightly Different Foods of Tomato & Basil Sauce or Bolognese
For the white sauce
- 50g Dairy free butter
- 50g Gluten free plain flour (made of low FODMAP grains)
- 650g Hot rice milk
- 50g Lactose free cheddar cheese finely grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the lasagne
- 12 Gluten free lasagne sheets (made of low FODMAP grains)
- 75g Lactose free mature cheddar, grated
For the minced meat:
1. Heat oil in a large frying pan on a low heat.
2. Cook the mince for 10 minutes or until browned all over.
3. Add the SDF sauce, stir and simmer for 10 minutes. Leave to one side.
For the white sauce:
4. Boil the rice milk. Leave to one side.
5. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and cook over the heat until the mixture is of a dough consistency.
6. Gradually whisk in the hot milk, whisking until thickened.
7. Add the cheese and season well with salt and pepper.
For the lasagne:
8. Soak the pasta sheets in boiling water for 5 minutes and place sheets individually on a board.
9. Put one third of the meat sauce in the base of an ovenproof dish.
10. Spoon one third of the white sauce on top & add a layer of lasagne sheets & season.
11. Spoon half of the remaining meat sauce on top and then half of the white sauce.
12. Add another layer of lasagne sheets on top, then add the remaining meat sauce and remaining white sauce.
13. Sprinkle over the cheddar cheese.
14. Preheat the oven temperature to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
15. Cook in the middle of the oven for about 45 minutes- or until golden brown on top.
A rich tomato & basil sauce, perfect to compliment a pasta dish, or a lasagne dish like the one above!
Slightly Different Foods boast an innovative range of super delicious, everyday no-fuss sauces and condiments that can be confidently enjoyed by anyone that suffers from food intolerances, vegetarians, vegans and those following a low FODMAP diet. There are 10 delicious FODMAP Friendly sauces to enjoy, check out the range here.
Slightly Different Foods are stocked in independent supermarkets across the UK and on many online stockists too. Use their stockist finder here.