Gravy is a classic sauce to add to a range of dishes for a flavour boost!
Unfortunately, traditional gravy is not low FODMAP as it contains onion, garlic, flour and stock which are all high in FODMAPs. Here is a great low FODMAP recipe that substitutes these high FODMAP ingredients without compromising on flavour. We have included 2 versions for this recipe, allowing you to prepare the gravy with or without meat drippings. Our gravy recipe is a great option to serve with roast meat and vegetables, steak, chicken schnitzel, baked potato, sausages and mashed potato, pot pie and poutine!
This recipe features our FODMAP Friendly certified Orgran All Purpose Plain Flour Gluten Free and FreeFOD Garlic Replacer. These certified low FODMAP products are used to replace flour and garlic, which are high FODMAP ingredients in traditional gravy.
Low FODMAP Gravy Recipe
Serves: 5 (makes 1 cup)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 20g butter
- ½ tsp ground thyme or 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp Orgran’s All-Purpose Plain Flour Gluten Free (Or other low FODMAP plain flour)
- 1 tsp FreeFOD Garlic Replacer (Or 1 tbsp Cobram Estate Garlic Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- Salt and pepper to season
- 3 tbsp meat drippings (make sure the drippings are from meat that has only been seasoned with low FODMAP ingredients)
Or 1 ½ cups low FODMAP stock (eg: FODMAPPED For You Chicken Stock)
- 1 ½ cups hot water
- Optional: 2tsp corn starch mixed into ¼ cup cold water to thicken gravy
1. Finely chop the fresh thyme.
2. Add the butter and thyme to pan and cook at a medium heat until butter has melted.
3. Place flour into the pan and stir to combine.
4. Add ground thyme, FreeFOD Garlic Replacer (or Cobram Estate Garlic Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil), salt and pepper to season.
5. Add meat drippings and 1 ½ cups hot water (or 1 ½ cups low FODMAP stock) to pan.
6. Allow to simmer for 6-8 minutes with the lid off and stir regularly to avoid the gravy sticking to the pan.
7. To alter texture (optional): if you prefer thicker gravy, combine 2 tsp corn starch in ¼ cup cold water and add to mixture. Or if you prefer thinner gravy, add additional hot water to reach desired thickness after step 6.
8. Strain gravy to remove thyme pieces if desired.
Orgran’s All Purpose Plain Flour Gluten Free product is a great substitute for wheat-based plain flour as it is made with maize starch, rice flour and tapioca starch. It can be substituted for wheat flour in a range of recipes including cakes, biscuits, flatbread and our gravy recipe! It’s a FODMAP Friendly certified product and is also free from gluten, dairy, egg, nuts and soy. The flour is even vegan and Kosher.
In Australia, Orgran’s product is available in Woolworths and Coles. It can also be purchased online in Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, Estonia, Germany, Hungary, Iran, Lithuania, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, United Kingdom, United States, and Canada.
FreeFod’s Garlic Replacer is a powder-based product that can be substituted as 1tsp of garlic replacer for 1 clove of garlic in a recipe. This is a great FODMAP Friendly certified option and dissolves in water, making it useful in our gravy recipe. This product can be used in pasta, sauces, soup, garlic bread and meat seasoning.
It’s available online in Australia, New Zealand and internationally.