Dalgona coffees have been popping up everywhere on our news feeds. They look amazing – but are they low FODMAP?
More often than not, they use high FODMAP ingredients such as milk or cream. Here’s our take on the Dalgona Coffee – the low FODMAP way. We’ve adapted this recipe from the FODMAP Friendly Certified Freshcap Mushrooms website!
Freshcap Mushrooms harness the power of medicinal mushrooms to create easy to use powders to add to your daily routine. This Dalgona coffee recipe features the Freshcap Mushroom Thrive 6 Mushroom Extracts, giving this trendy coffee a health boosting twist!
PREP TIME: 10 mins
- 2 tbsp. coconut sugar (can substitute for white or brown sugar)
- 2 tbsp. instant coffee*
- 2 tbsp. hot water
- 1 tsp Thrive 6 Mushroom Extract
- 1 tbsp low FODMAP vanilla protein powder (such as Stellar Labs or Casa De Sante’s Vanilla Plant Protein or Whey Protein)
- Ice, for serving
- Lactose-Free Milk, for serving
*Instant coffee contains caffeine which can be a gut irritant. Using instant coffee has lower doses of caffeine than brewed coffee, however, if instant coffee irritates your gut, reduce the amount to 1 tbsp, or try a de-caffeinated variety.
1. In a tall glass, combine sugar, coffee, and water. Using a handheld mixer, whisk until it thickens and holds its lofty, foamy shape.
2. Add in Thrive 6 and vanilla protein powder and stir with a spoon until mixed.
3. Fill a glass most of the way full with ice and milk, then scoop the whipped coffee mixture on top, mixing before drinking, if desired.
Thrive 6 is a mushroom blend that contains potent extracts of 6 powerful mushrooms: Lions Mane, Reishi, Chaga, Cordyceps, Maitake and Turkey Tail.
Mushrooms have been used for thousands of years in eastern cultures for their incredible health benefits.
In fact, these mushrooms were thought to be so powerful, they were even given marked names such as Reishi’s “mushroom of immortality” and the Chaga’s “king of herbal medicine“.
The use of mushrooms as medicine is still hugely popular today, with more and more people in western cultures becoming aware of the life changing benefits everyday.
Many people are now starting to supplement their diet with medicinal mushroom extracts as a way to bring the body into balance (also known as homeostasis), and giving the body and mind the foundation upon which to build lasting health.
Although there is a million things that make these mushrooms special, the real secret weapon – the beneficial compound that makes them truly “magical” – is the beta glucans.