Summer is synonymous with salads, enjoyed around a big table with family, friends and great conversation. Enjoying a delicious salad with dinner is a great way to ‘crowd in’ your vegetable (and fruit!) serves alongside the more traditional protein and grain variations served. Although following the ‘elimination’ phase of the low FODMAP diet renders some traditional salad ingredients, such as garlic, onion, mushrooms and snow peas off the table for the time being, there are a plethora of other vegetables to enjoy.
Slightly Different Foods have released an innovative orange, ginger & chilli flavoured dressing just in time for the Northern Hemisphere summer. This dressing is a light, zingy infusion that is fantastic to transform your salads into something ‘slightly different!’. It is locally made in the UK, and is not only certified as low FODMAP, but vegan, vegetarian and gluten free approved too.
This low FODMAP quinoa summer salad is a fantastic meal to add to your salad repertoire. Although plant-based, the salad would pair nicely with a source of lean protein such as sliced chicken or grilled fish. Quinoa is a low FODMAP, high fibre grain that adds a deliciously nutty taste to meals. This salad would be perfect to accompany a barbeque. It could also easily be made in advance and taken to work for a nutritious lunch option. The minimal prep time also ensures you’ll spend less time in the kitchen and more time soaking up the summer sun rays with family and friends.
In typical salad dressings, you’ll find that foods such as onion, cream and milk are often at the top. These are high FODMAP ingredients that people with IBS aim to avoid. Since these factors render most store-bought salad dressings off limits, the only safe option is to make dressings from scratch. We all know that this isn’t always possible, so Slightly Different offer a tasty, convenient alternative!
Low FODMAP Quinoa Summer Salad with Slightly Different Orange, Ginger & Chilli Dressing
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1.5 cups FODMAP Friendly certified vegetable stock (find certified products here) or water
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 cup diced capsicum
- 1 cup diced cucumbers
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- ½ cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- Slightly Different Foods Orange, Ginger & Chilli Dressing
- ½ lime
- 40g feta cheese (to serve)
If you can’t source the Slightly Different Orange, Ginger & Chilli dressing, put a squeeze of orange and orange rind, two teaspoons of ginger and a sprinkle of chilli powder with a tablespoon of garlic-infused olive oil.
1. Boil the quinoa in the vegetable stock/water according to the package instructions.
2. Cut the zucchini, capsicum, tomatoes, and carrot. Toss together and season with salt and pepper.
3. Shred the iceberg lettuce and add to the base of a salad bowl. Add the vegetables on top. Toss to combine.
4. Once the quinoa is cooked, add to the salad bowl and toss.
5. Drizzle the Slightly Different Foods Orange, Ginger & Chilli Dressing over the top.
6. Add a sprinkle of feta cheese and lime juice to the top.