Shortbread is a creamy, crumbly sweet treat that is extremely simple to make. With some easy low FODMAP substitutions, we’ve developed this simple low FODMAP shortbread recipe which only requires 4 ingredients! The four ingredients used are butter, sugar, rice flour and tapioca flour, which are all ingredients that are extremely low in FODMAPs. Meaning you don’t have to stop at just one or two!
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Serves: 24 finger-length biscuits (12 serves)
- 250g butter, softened and cubed
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour (or use the Lo-Fo Pantry All Purpose Flour)
1. Preheat your oven at 160°C.
2. Using a large mixing bowl, mix softened butter and icing sugar with a kitchen mixer until the mixture has combined into a light creamy texture. If you do not have a kitchen mixer, melt the butter and use a wooden spoon to mix until the texture is creamy.
3. Combine the two flours and slowly sieve into the butter and sugar mixture, ensuring you continue to mix the flour through as your add more. Continue to mix through until you have a thick dough consistency.
4. Line two medium sized baking trays (or one large tray) with baking paper. Cut the dough into two halves and flatten the pieces of dough into the two trays ensuring that the height of the dough is consistent across the whole tray.
5. Using a knife, cut the dough into roughly 3cm x 10cm rectangles (or you can use a cookie cutter to create any shape you like with your flattened dough).
6. Use a fork to score holes across each shortbread piece.
7. Place trays into oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. You may need to bake for longer depending on the thickness of your dough.
8. Allow for the biscuits to cool on a cooling rack for 30 minutes before serving.
The Lo-Fo Pantry All-Purpose flour is the world’s first low FODMAP wheat flour. The wheat flour has been treated through a wet extraction process to remove the FODMAP containing components of the flour, resulting in a deliciously low FODMAP wheat flour. The Lo-Fo Pantry range can be purchased online via their online store with shipping to Australia and the USA. They are also available in Woolworths supermarkets across Australia. It’s stocked in select retailers across the USA. Use their stockist finder here.