For Coeliac Awareness Week we have the perfect Gluten Free, Low FODMAP recipe!
If you’re hosting a dinner for others with food intolerances or simply to increase the variety of your meals, why not try these delicious Teriyaki Sushi Bowls?
Using San J Gluten Free Teriyaki Sauce and Gluten Free Tamari, this recipe is suitable for anyone with Coeliac Disease and IBS.
You can easily change the main protein in the recipe to suit your preference.
- 2 cups short grain rice
- 500g protein of choice such as chicken breast, salmon, firm tofu or tuna
- 2 large carrots, sliced thinly with a vegetable peeler or grated
- 1 large cucumber, cut into thinly sliced pieces
- ½ avocado, diced
- 1 cup bamboo shoots
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 cup San J Teriyaki Sauce
- 1 tablespoon San J Tamari or Reduced Sodium Tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar or rice malt syrup
- 2 tablespoons gluten free Japanese mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 2 nori seaweed sheets, sliced
- 1 tablespoon pickled ginger
- Rinse the rice well. Bring a large pot of water to the boil, add the rinsed rice and boil for approximately 30 minutes or until almost cooked.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare your protein. If using chicken or tofu, cut into 2cm pieces. Heat a fry pan with the sesame oil on medium-high heat. Add the chicken/tofu/salmon to the pan and sear each side lightly for 2 minutes.
- Add the San J Teriyaki Sauce, turn the heat up to high and fry for a further 8 minutes or until the protein is sticky, coated in the sauce and cooked through.
- Once the rice is cooked, strain the remaining water from the pot, cover and leave to sit for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the vegetables.
- Make the tamari sauce by mixing the San J Tamari, rice vinegar, sugar/rice salt syrup and 1 tsp sesame seeds.
- Assemble the bowls by dividing the rice and protein into 4 bowls. Top with the carrots, cucumber, bamboo shoots, avocado, nori, pickled ginger and remaining sesame seeds. Serve with the Japanese mayonnaise and tamari sauce.
FODMAP Friendly Products Used In This Recipe