This delicious dessert is one to celebrate! Perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year!
Low FODMAP Christmas Trifle
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Serves: 10-14 people
- Gluten Free Madeira cake or Pound cake store bought (Bare Bakers from Woolworths is a good option)
- 1/3 cup Cointreau (orange liqueur)
- 3 packs of Aeroplane raspberry jelly (not the lite version)
- 2 – 3 punnets strawberries, halved
- 1 each punnet blueberries, raspberries
- 2 1/2 cups lactose free cream
- 3 tbsp white sugar (caster sugar ok)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Cut cake into 3 cm / 1.2″ cubes. Cover bottom of 3.5 L / 3.5 qt trifle dish with cake (might not use all) and sprinkle with liquor
2. Empty contents of Aeroplane Original Raspberry Flavoured Jelly Sachets into a 6L capacity bowl and add 3 cups (750 mL) of BOILING WATER. Stir and dissolve well. Add 600 mL of COLD WATER and stir.
3. Refrigerate until cool (30 mins)
JELLY LAYER 1:
4. Pour HALF the jelly liquid carefully over the cake in the trifle dish. Refrigerate uncovered for 1.5 hours until it is partly set – still quite soft, but not watery (ie if you gently place a strawberry on it, it will stay on the surface).
5. Pour remaining jelly in a bowl and leave on the counter (do not refrigerate).
6. Meanwhile, make the custard (see below).
7. Mix 125g of Orgran Instant Custard powder with 800ml Liddells Lactose Free Milk and whisk to blend together
8. Pour into a bowl and cover with cling wrap, pressing onto surface. Leave on the counter until trifle is ready to layer with custard. Makes 900ml
9. Remove trifle from fridge. Spoon over the custard, smooth surface, press on glass to seal (stops jelly bleed). Refrigerate for 1 hour until surface has firmed up a bit – just enough to hold the jelly (jelly is soft so custard doesn’t need to be fully set).
10. Put remaining jelly in the fridge at the same time (to thicken a bit, but not too much). CHECK jelly at 30 minutes, just to ensure it’s not setting too fast.
JELLY LAYER 2:
11. Remove trifle and jelly from fridge. Jelly should be sloppy. Carefully spoon over jelly, smooth surface. Scatter over 1 punnet halved strawberries (or half each raspberries and strawberries). Refrigerate for 3 hours+ (can leave in fridge for 48 hours, until ready to assemble).
12. Cream: Beat cream, sugar and vanilla until softly whipped.
13. Once jelly is set, just before serving, top with cream, then pile over remaining berries. Dust with icing sugar.
P.S. It is imperative to ensure every servings includes a bit of every layer in the trifle 😂
Use our FODMAP Friendly App to find low FODMAP substitutes for any ingredient!