Try this Greek inspired Arrabbiata Moussaka dish, with a low FODMAP twist.
Moussaka is traditionally made with eggplant or potato. In this recipe, we’ve used both eggplant and potato since both of these vegetables can be incorporated into a low FODMAP diet. Plus – the more plant variety we give our gut, the better for the diversity of our gut microbiota! You could even up the number of vegetables by adding a layer of sliced zucchini or adding spinach to the white sauce.
A key part of this recipe is the FODMAP Friendly Certified Slightly Different Arrabbiata sauce. We use this sauce to create the delicious white sauce base for this hearty and filling meal.
Prep time: 35 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hour 15 mins
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 4)
- 250g Aubergine
- 250g quorn mince, (or beef mince if wanting to use meat instead)
- 1 jar, (260g) of Slightly Difference Foods Arrabbiata Sauce
- 250g potatoes
- 3 tbsp garlic infused oil
WHITE SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 40g butter
- 40g gluten free plain flour (ensure the gluten free flour is made from a low FODMAP grain such as maize, tapioca or rice)
- 400ml almond milk
- 2g ground nutmeg
- 2g asafoetida
- 20g nutritional yeast, (alternatively 50g cheese)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preparing the vegetables
1. Peel the potatoes and cut into very thin slices. Place in cold water to stop them from browning.
2. Rinse the aubergine and cut into thin slices, (leaving out the ends). Brush them with oil on both sides.
3. Add 2 tbsp of garlic infused oil to a pan and fry the aubergine in a grill pan until the slices have softened and have brown grill stripes on both sides.
4. Leave to one side.
Cooking the white sauce
5. Heat the butter in a pan for the white sauce.
6. Add the flour when the butter has melted and stir with a whisk, leaving the flour to cook for a few minutes while you stir regularly.
7. Gradually add the almond milk and keep stirring with the whisk.
8. Add the nutritional yeast powder to the sauce.
9. Simmer for a few minutes until it gets thicker continue stirring for a smooth consistency.
10. Add the asafoetida and nutmeg.
11. Season with pepper and salt, leave to one side.
12. Heat 1 tbsp of infused oil in a frying pan and add the quorn, (beef mince).
13. Fry for 5 minutes, (use a guard as the quorn tends to spit).
14. Add the arrabbiata sauce and stir.
15. Simmer for 10 minutes on a low heat stirring occasionally to stop the sauce from sticking to the pan.
Assemble for moussaka for baking
16. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
17. Drain the potatoes.
18. Layer the oven dish with potato slices on the bottom.
19. Add a layer of aubergine slices on top.
20. Divide half of the minced meat tomato sauce over the aubergine.
21. Cover this with another layer of potato slices and aubergine slices.
22. Spread the other half of the minced meat sauce on top.
23. Finish with the white sauce and smoothen the sauce with a spoon.
24. Bake the moussaka in the oven for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
25. Garnish with cracked black pepper.
Interested in more from Slightly Different? Check out their extensive FODMAP Friendly Certified range.
Slightly Different Foods is available for independent retailers around the UK and online. See their list of stockists here.
After some more low FODMAP recipe inspiration? See the recipe section of our website!